What is your current go-to license?

I default to the AGPL because I generally want the strongest protections possible, and I think that copyleft does a good job of defending against threats to the commons. For example, I publish my personal code under the AGPL because I’m mainly just writing things that I pseudo-randomly have an interest in, and I share it because it feels good to share things and I’ve learned a lot by reading other people’s random projects that they primarily wrote for themself.

But I’m willing to “downgrade” the license when some practical need arises and I don’t think the protections are that important. For example, the Guile wrapper I wrote around QubesDB is licensed as GPL2+ because this is the license that QubesDB itself uses and I want this library to be composable with Guix. Speaking as a non-lawyer, my understanding is that it would be within my legal rights to license this under the AGPL due to compatibility clauses. However, this would hamper composability with Guix unless Guix was also re-licensed under the AGPL, which sounds logistically difficult and also disrespectful to the project. Additionally, I feel it is more respectful to the upstream QubesDB library, which is doing the vast majority of the work - the Guile binding is just a thin wrapper around the QubesDB C API, and demanding other people align with my worldview for something so trivial just seems rude.