Licensing of Icons under Apache 2.0

Hi!

I’d like to use Material Symbols in my project. Their website says they are licensed under Apache License 2.0. They are provided both in svg and png formats. However, I need specific resolution, and the best approach would be to convert them from svg to png on my side. Can I distribute these converted images as part of my project and which license can I use for it?

1 Like

You can modify them, yes, and distribute them with your project. To comply with the terms of Apache 2.0, you must include a copy of Apache 2.0, and summarize the changes you made to the originals. You can distribute the modified versions under Apache 2.0, or, because Apache 2.0 is a permissive license and permits sublicensing, you can apply your own project’s license as well.

In practical terms, I would suggest simply including a copy of the Apache 2.0 license somewhere near the icons in your source repository, along with a small notice explaining where they came from and what you changed.

Material Symbols as a project seems to be pretty laissez faire with the license terms:

We have made these icons available for you to incorporate into your products under the Apache License Version 2.0. Feel free to remix and re-share these icons and documentation in your products. We’d love attribution in your app’s about screen, but it’s not required.

So I think you don’t need to worry too much about getting it perfect.