Ongoing funding opportunities you should know of

There are a lot of opportunities to get funding for free software projects these days! Here are a few currently open long-term opportunities to find grants and funding for free software projects.

NLNet

NLNet runs many grant programs which accept applications from a wide variety of free software projects and awards grants between €5,000 and €50,000 if accepted.

We support organisations and people who contribute to an open internet for all. We fund projects that help fix the internet through open hardware, open software, open standards, open science and open data. After its historical contribution to the early internet in Europe in the 1980’s, NLnet has been financially supporting the open internet since 1997.

Sovereign Tech Fund

The Sovereign Tech Fund is a German program to fund free software projects which awards grants of a minimum of €150,000 to qualified projects.

The Sovereign Tech Fund supports the development, improvement and maintenance of open digital infrastructure. Our goal is to sustainably strengthen the open source ecosystem. We focus on security, resilience, technological diversity, and the people behind the code.

Know of some other opportunities? Let me know in this thread!

3 Likes

There’s a nice list of alternative funding opportunities here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

RIPE NCC’s “Community Project Fund”

ripe.net/cpf

in 2024, the call for funding is open from mid-March, until 31st July.

Here are the details of the call: Call for Applications — RIPE Network Coordination Centre

Projects funded are “for the good of the Internet”; (& I thought they should be FLOSS, but I can’t find the reference to it right now).

Total amount is 250.000€, divided between 5-10 projects per year.

3 Likes

This is really good, it almost verges on too much information. Having previously worked in a non-software nonprofit charity, I know that very often these funders want to see applications that read in a very particular way. If anyone has ever successfully applied to any of the grants listed on this page and is will to coach other applicants, they should say so. It would be a great help.