TinyMCE, a popular JS WYSIWYG editor library, changes license from MIT to GPLv2+

They have details and an explanation of this change here:

Since I provide an MIT licensed project with a significant dependency on TinyMCE this has quite a large impact for me, and I imagine there could be quite a few other projects in a similar position since TinyMCE is quite popular.

I respect that the GPLv2+ will ensure greater freedom of code to users, so should be a good change long term, although the reasons given are all quite commercial-focused, and I have recently seen tiny move features from their open offerings into their proprietary additions. They also (in my opinion) misrepresented their previous LGPL license to enforce branding requirements, which I used as the second example in my blog post here.

It’s great they’ve kept it on a FOSS license though, rather than switch to a source-available/proprietary license.

Hmm.

“These basic rules ensures that the contributed code remains open source and under the MIT license.”

Don’t sign a CLA, as someone once said.

Good find, there’s now three versions of that line in the repo history :person_facepalming::

These basic rules ensures that the contributed code remains open source and under the LGPL license. ref

These basic rules ensures that the contributed code remains open source and under the MIT license. ref

These basic rules ensures that the contributed code remains open source and under the GNU General Public License Version 2 or later license. ref

1 Like